Talking about Social Security
Social Security and other safety net programs, such as Medicaid and Medicare, are very important to many manufactured homeowners. A disproportionate number of manufactured homeowners in land lease communities are retirees, or low-income families, who may rely on social security or social security disability payments to make ends meet.
For this reason, MHAction leaders advocate to protect vital safety net programs and strengthen them for the long-term. We believe this means ensuring these programs receive enough funding to increase and expand benefits in order to adequately meet the basic needs of low-income families, seniors, veterans, and the disabled.
The following tools will help you educate your community on these programs.
Retirement Security Slide Show: Provides an overview of policy changes that could make Social Security strong and more effective.
Social Security Education Module: Contains materials you can use to create an educational experience for members of your community on the history of the Social Security Act and current issues impacting Social Security and other safety net programs.
- Social Security Module contents and educational information on Frances Perkins and the origins of the Social Security Act
- Debunking Myths about Social Security
- Threats to Social Security and Medicaid/Medicare
- Social Security “Pop Quiz” and answer sheet
- Letter Writing tool to protect and strengthen Social Security
- Petition to protect Medicaid and Medicare